Death News

Petes K. Laurent-Baptisma; Columbus stabbing victim identified

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Columbus police have released the identity of the man who died after being stabbed during an altercation in the Weinland Park neighborhood last week. Authorities confirmed that 24-year-old Petes K. Laurent-Baptisma was the victim of the deadly stabbing.

According to investigators, officers were dispatched to the 1200 block of Summit Street shortly before 1 a.m. on August 22 following reports of a fight between two individuals. During the dispute, Laurent-Baptisma was stabbed multiple times. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he survived for two days before succumbing to his injuries. The Franklin County Coroner’s Office later ruled his death a homicide.

Although police have determined the identity of the other person involved in the altercation, no arrests have been made. Officials said the individual’s name is being withheld at this stage and confirmed that the case will be presented to a Franklin County grand jury for review.

Court documents revealed that Laurent-Baptisma was facing charges stemming from the same incident in which he lost his life. Investigators reported that the altercation escalated after Laurent-Baptisma allegedly assaulted his live-in girlfriend. Witness statements and evidence indicated he struck her during the dispute. At some point in the confrontation, he was stabbed by what charging records described as an “unknown Black male.” He sustained three stab wounds—two in his right forearm and one to his chest.

The victim’s sister reportedly told detectives she saw Laurent-Baptisma strike her sibling but did not witness the stabbing itself. Based on her testimony and the physical injuries observed—including a bloody nose and facial bruising—detectives charged Laurent-Baptisma with domestic violence and assault shortly before his death.

Police confirmed that their investigation is ongoing and emphasized that while they know who else was involved in the altercation, the decision on whether charges will be filed rests with the grand jury. At present, no one else has been criminally charged in connection with the fatal stabbing.

The case has raised questions about the complicated circumstances surrounding the incident, as the stabbing victim himself was also listed as the suspect in a domestic violence case tied directly to the confrontation. Detectives said they are carefully piecing together the chain of events leading up to the violence to present the most accurate account before the grand jury.

Authorities are also asking for public assistance in gathering additional information. Anyone with details that may help the investigation is encouraged to reach out to the Columbus Police Homicide Unit at (614) 645-4730 or to leave an anonymous tip through Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at (614) 461-TIPS (8477).

Detective Collins has been assigned as the lead investigator in the case, with assistance from Detective Johnson. Police continue to seek clarity on the sequence of events that ended in Laurent-Baptisma’s death and said their primary focus remains on uncovering the full truth behind the tragedy.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button